Students who take Kotlin, also register the below courses:
Kotlin is a cross-platform, statically typed, general-purpose programming language with type inference. Kotlin is designed to interoperate fully with Java, and the JVM version of Kotlin's standard library depends on the Java Class Library, but type inference allows its syntax to be more concise. Kotlin is a programming language which is widely used by Android developers everywhere.
About Kotlin Programming
- Open Source - The Kotlin compiler, Intellij IDEA plugin, and build tools are all open source.
- Interoperable - Kotlin is 100 percent interoperable with Java. This means all your current Java/Android code works seamlessly with Kotlin.
- Concise - Compared to Java, Kotlin code are much more concise. Also, Kotlin code is much more expressive (easier to understand and write).
- Tool-friendly - Kotlin is developed by JetBrains, the company renowned for creating development tools. You can choose any Java IDE to write Koltin code.
Why Learn Kotlin?
- Kotlin is 100 percent interoperable with Java. Hence your Java/Android code works with Kotlin.
- Kotlin allows you to cut off the lines of code by approximately 40% (compared to Java).
- Learning Kotlin is easy. It is particularly easy if you already know Java.
- Kotlin is tool-friendly. You can use any Java IDE or command line to run Kotlin.
Topics and Subtopics
Here is the course outline:
1. Kotlin Overview, Installation, and Setup
- Why Kotlin?
- Install and Setup Kotlin
- Installing the Standalone Compiler- Command Line
- Setting up Kotlin in IntelliJ IDEA
- Setting up Kotlin in Eclipse
2. Writing your first Kotlin program
3. Kotlin Variables and Data Types
- Type inference
- Data Types
- Type Conversions
4. Kotlin Operators with Examples
- Operations on Numeric Types
- Bitwise Operators
- Operations on Boolean Types
- Operations on Strings
5. Kotlin Control Flow: if and when expressions, for and while loops
- If Statement
- If-Else Statement
- Using If as an Expression
- If-Else-If Chain
- When Expression
- While Loop
- do-while loop
- For Loop
- Break and Continue
6. Nullable Types and Null Safety in Kotlin
- Nullability and Nullable Types in Kotlin
- Working with Nullable Types
- Null Safety and Java Interoperability
- Nullability and Collections
7. Kotlin Functions, Default and Named Arguments, Varargs and Function Scopes
- Defining and Calling Functions
- Function Default Arguments
- Function Named Arguments
- Variable Number of Arguments (Varargs)
- Function Scope
- I. Top Level Functions
- II. Member Functions
- III. Local/Nested Functions
8. Kotlin Infix Notation - Make function calls more intuitive
Prior knowledge of Java programming is strongly recommended.
- Introduction to C Programming
- Learn C++ Programming by Examples
- Introduction to Go Programming
- Introduction to Java Programming
- Introduction to Python Programming
Complete Training Bundle
If you are serious about becoming a pro software engineer, you should enroll in our Complete Training Bundle for Software Engineers class, This bundle covers all essential and practical topics related to software design and development. For $290 monthly subscription, you can have access to 300+ hours of hands-on project-based training covering all courses related to software development like Python, Java, Kotlin, C/C++ Go and more. Click here to learn more.
Private Tutoring Classes
To take skills you learn from this course to the next level, taking the following tutoring classes are highly recommended. It is also a great opportunity to discuss your questions and problems related to this course with an experienced instructor:
- Private tutoring sessions for software design and engineering- Weekly and monthly plans
- Kotlin programming language- Private tutoring sessions
What Is Next?
After finishing this course, you can enroll in any of following classes:
- Introduction to Database Design
- Learn SQL Programming by Examples
- Intro to Blockchain Technology
- Introduction to Linux OS
- Intro to Linux Bash Scripting
Recommended Free Courses
If you are new to the IT or programming, we suggest the following free courses:
Jim Sullivan- MS, MBA and IBM Master Instructor
Jim is a senior blockchain consultant and developer at DC Web Makers. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and a Master’s Degree in Computer Science along with an MBA. He has been a practicing software engineer for 20 years. Currently, at DC Web Makers, he leads an expert team in Blockchain development, DevOps, Cloud, application development, and the SAFe Agile methodology. He is an IBM Master Instructor. He is a Blockchain professional, and a MultiChain partner. He is also an expert in HyperLedger, Ethereum, Corda, and is architecting and developing Blockchain-based web products. He has also taught blockchain courses for companies such as O’Reilly Media. His other skills are as follows:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) partner, and administrator.
- Multichain, Corda, Hyperledger Blockchain partner.
- HealthCare Blockchain Certified
- Certified Scaled Agile Program Consultant (SAFe SPC): Certified by the Scaled Agile Institute.
- Certified SAFe DevOps
- Perl Developer, Java developer, Java web developer, and .NET developer
- Node.JS, PHP, Oracle and MySQL development and administration.
- WebSphere, Tomcat, Wicket, JBoss developer.
- Certified Scrum Master: Certified by the Scrum Alliance and Certified Scrum Professional: Certified by the Scrum Alliance.
- ALM Disciplines: Requirements, Change Management, Development, and Quality.
- Certified Tool Expertise: UrbanCode, IBM Team Concert, DOORS Next Gen, IBM Quality Manager, ClearCase, ClearQuest, Jira, Rally, SVN, Maven, Hudson/Jenkins, Guacamole, UrbanCode, Chef, Puppet.
- Certified VMWare Technical Professional.
- Linux and Windows Administration
Students who take Kotlin, also register the below courses: