The way in which computers manage data has come a long way over the last few decades. Today’s users take for granted the many benefits found in a database system. In this self-paced course you lean about history of database, types of databases, and how to model data using Entity Relationship diagrams. You also learn how to translate a logical database design into physical one.
This course comes with many hands-on examples to help beginners grasp concepts thoroughly.
Topics and Subtopics
Here is the course outline:
1- Before the Advent of Database Systems
- File-based Approach
- Database Approach
2- Fundamental Concepts
- What Is a Database?
- Database Management System
3- Characteristics and Benefits of a Database
- Characteristics and Benefits of a Database
4- Types of Data Models
- High-level Conceptual Data Models
- Record-based Logical Data Models
5- Data Modeling
- Degrees of Data Abstraction
- Data Abstraction Layer
- Logical and Physical Data Independence
6- Classification of Database Management Systems
- Classification Based on Data Model
- Classification Based on User Numbers
- Classification Based on Database Distribution
- Distributed database system
7- The Relational Data Model
- Fundamental Concepts in the Relational Data Model
- Properties of a Table
8- The Entity Relationship Data Model
- Entity, Entity Set and Entity Type
- Kinds of Entities
- Attributes & Types of Attributes
- Keys & Types of Keys
- Relationships & Types of Relationships
9- Integrity Rules and Constraints
- Domain Integrity
- Enterprise Constraints & Business Rules
- Relationship Types
10- ER Modeling
- Relational Design and Redundancy
- Insertion Anomaly
- Update Anomaly
- Deletion Anomaly
- How to Avoid Anomalies
Project 1- University Registration Data Model Example
Project 2- Sample ERD Exercises
Complete Training Bundle
If you are serious about becoming a pro system admin or cloud specialist, you should enroll in our System Admin- Complete Training Bundle. This bundle covers all essential and practical topics related to system administration. For $290 monthly subscription, you can have access to 300+ hours of hands-on project-based training covering all courses related to system administration like Linux, SQL, No-SQL, or Graph database development, bash scripting, Docker, Kubernetes and many more. Click here to learn more.
Private Tutoring Classes
To take skills you learn from this course to the next level, taking the following tutoring classes are highly recommended. It is also a great opportunity to discuss your questions and problems related to this course with an experienced instructor:
- Private tutoring sessions for system administrator management- Weekly and monthly plans
- Database design and SQL coding- Private tutoring sessions
What Is Next?
After finishing this course, you can enroll in any of following classes:
- Learn SQL Programming by Examples
- Introduction to Linux OS
- Web Development with PHP & MySQL
- Learn PHP Programming
- Intro to HTML and CSS
Recommended Free Courses
If you are new to the IT or programming, we suggest the following free courses:
Below is the list of related courses:
Jim Sullivan- MS, MBA and IBM Master Instructor
Jim is a senior blockchain consultant and developer at DC Web Makers. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and a Master’s Degree in Computer Science along with an MBA. He has been a practicing software engineer for 20 years. Currently, at DC Web Makers, he leads an expert team in Blockchain development, DevOps, Cloud, application development, and the SAFe Agile methodology. He is an IBM Master Instructor. He is a Blockchain professional, and a MultiChain partner. He is also an expert in HyperLedger, Ethereum, Corda, and is architecting and developing Blockchain-based web products. He has also taught blockchain courses for companies such as O’Reilly Media. His other skills are as follows:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) partner, and administrator.
- Multichain, Corda, Hyperledger Blockchain partner.
- HealthCare Blockchain Certified
- Certified Scaled Agile Program Consultant (SAFe SPC): Certified by the Scaled Agile Institute.
- Certified SAFe DevOps
- Perl Developer, Java developer, Java web developer, and .NET developer
- Node.JS, PHP, Oracle and MySQL development and administration.
- WebSphere, Tomcat, Wicket, JBoss developer.
- Certified Scrum Master: Certified by the Scrum Alliance and Certified Scrum Professional: Certified by the Scrum Alliance.
- ALM Disciplines: Requirements, Change Management, Development, and Quality.
- Certified Tool Expertise: UrbanCode, IBM Team Concert, DOORS Next Gen, IBM Quality Manager, ClearCase, ClearQuest, Jira, Rally, SVN, Maven, Hudson/Jenkins, Guacamole, UrbanCode, Chef, Puppet.
- Certified VMWare Technical Professional.
- Linux and Windows Administration